About Us & Our History
Lorenzo Waugh was born in 1808 in Greensbriar, Virginia. He traveled west in 1851 and eventually arrived in California. He became friends with General Vallejo and was given 320 acres of land, on which he built Bethel School. The one-room school burned down, but was replaced with the new Waugh School building in 1925. It then remained a rural, two-teacher school until the 1980s. Between 1989 and 1991, Waugh School grew from 38 students to 155 students and the site became too small for the increasing number of students.
Our vision is of a school community in which all members contribute to individual, family, and community lifelong learning.
The Waugh School District provides a safe environment where all students are given the skills, opportunity, and encouragement to prepare for a successful future as critical and creative thinkers, productive citizens, and lifelong learners.